week 1- yellow rice and bacalaitos

Cooking Blog.


Hi, my name is Anthony Foraker and this is my blog. This blog is for a school project called the 20-time project, this project is supposed to take u 20% of your time so what I chose to do was learn how to cook with my family recipes from my parent's generation and from my grandparent's generation, the reason I chose to do this is because I want to learn how to cook for myself so I don't have to rely on people in the future. Over the next few weeks, I will post a weekly meal that I learned to cook that week, starting with this week my 20-times project begins. 


My first meal.


For my first meal of this project, I have chosen to make some yellow rice and bacalaítos which in English means small codfish, what since my family is Latin American in most of the recipes there will be a few Spanish ingredients. For the secret family recipe of my grandma's famous yellow rice, first, you will have to get a big pot, my grandma has this big aluminum pot called a caldera and that is the pot we used for cooking the rice. second, you will need to put your sofrito (about three spoon fulls) into the pot and turn on the stove to about medium heat, after you do that you will need to mix in the other ingredients including tomato sauce, fresh cilantro, olives, pigeon peas, garlic and your choice of meat usually we use ham or chorizo. depending on how many people you are feeding the amounts may vary but a general rule is 1 and a half cup more than the rice. after you pour your water in you add a little salt and oil about two tbs and then let it boil. after it starts boiling you add your rice and cover it with a lid wrapped in a dishtowel, you wrap the lid to help the steam. when you do all that stir it a few times and let it cook for 20 minutes.
Image result for aluminum caldero
This is a caldera pot.
Image of sazon goya
This is sazón.
Image result for bacalaitos
Bacalaíto
After we made the yellow rice my grandma wanted to
show me these really tasty things called Bacalaítos, these are small pieces of cod that are dipped in a batter and fried into circles. these are prepared by cutting the cod into small pieces and dipping it into the special batter my grandma makes it has a lot of ingredients from flower to more sazón for the color. the trick to perfect Bacalaítos is starting with cold or cool oil and putting them in early.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

week 2-pollo guisado